Local government finances
The Ministry of Finance monitors and assesses the status and development of the finances of municipalities. The Ministry
- develops the system of central government transfers to local government
- calculates and grants central government transfers to local government
- is responsible for the centralised payment of the municipality of residence reimbursements for pre-primary or basic education to the education provider
- prepares discretionary increases in central government transfers to local government for the Government
- monitors and projects the development of the services and finances of municipalities on a municipal- and region-specific basis.
The Municipal Finance Unit of the Department for Local Government and Regional Administration of the Ministry of Finance has the responsibility for preparing these issues.