Digital identity development project
The aim, as stated in the government programme, is to develop electronic identification for Finnish citizens and anyone living in Finland, and to promote the development of functional solutions for identification. The government programme also mentions the capability of a person to manage their personal information in public services and sufficient support services for the use of electronic public services that ensure equality.
Among other things, the Population Register Centre (now the Digital and Population Data Services Agency) bases the project on a study of identification solutions. The programme to promote digitali-sation, the final report of the workgroup for updating the personal identity code, and the actions de-cided after the final report are also relevant for the development of digital identity.
The project for developing digital identity will take place between 8 October 2020 and 30 June 2023.
Objectives of the project
- Create equal conditions and opportunities for all to use digital identity in social services and make it possible to expand the set of personal data confirmed by the authorities that can be transmitted to the other party during use of the services.
- Secure the forming and development of conditions for the sharing of personal data so that digital identity solutions can be based on a core identity guaranteed by the state.
- Enable electronic identification in public services for all who need it, including for work duties.
- Ensure the manageability and predictability of costs for the strong electronic identification mech-anisms used in general government.
- Facilitate the registration of foreign nationals and their electronic identification in Finland, as well as enable cross-border electronic identification from Finland.
Maria Nikkilä, tietohallintoneuvos, yksikönpäällikkö
Ministry of Finance, Julkisen hallinnon tieto- ja viestintätekninen osasto / Julk ICT, Digitalisaatio Telephone:0295530514