Ministerial Working Group on Preparedness
In March 2022, the Government appointed the Ministerial Working Group on Preparedness to guide preparedness activities related to the effects of Russia’s attack on Ukraine.
The tasks of the Ministerial Working Group are to:
- form a comprehensive picture of the effects of the crisis
- assess these effects, particularly in relation to the economy and security of supply
- decide on launching necessary measures and allocating resources.
The policy guidelines concerning the preparedness of public administration and guaranteeing cyber security are made by the Ministerial Working Group on Developing the Digital Transformation, the Data Economy and Public Administration.
Minister of Finance Annika Saarikko chairs the Ministerial Working Group. The other members are:
- Minister of Economic Affairs Mika Lintilä
- Minister of Employment Tuula Haatainen
- Minister of Agriculture and Forestry Antti Kurvinen
- Minister for Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade Ville Skinnari
- Minister for European Affairs and Ownership Steering Tytti Tuppurainen
- Minister of the Environment and Climate Change Maria Ohisalo
- Minister of Social Affairs and Health Hanna Sarkkinen
- Minister of Justice Anna-Maja Henriksson
- Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto
The General Secretary of the Working Group is Lauri Kajanoja, Economic Policy Coordinator at the Ministry of Finance. The secretariat of the ministerial working group consists of public officials from different ministries.
The permanent experts to the Ministerial Working Group include permanent secretaries of the Prime Minister's Office, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, and the Ministry of the Environment or corresponding public officials.
Work of the Ministerial Working Group
The preparation work undertaken by the Ministerial Working Group has been divided among six working groups of public officials. These groups are responsible for preparing the matters handled by the Ministerial Working Group and are coordinated by the secretariat.
The working groups are:
- national economy, financial market, industries and companies
- security of supply by sector and critical infrastructure of functions vital to society
- state-owned companies
- general government finances and budgetary process
- issues related to the European Union incl. effects of EU policy measures on the Finnish economy
On 13 May 2022, the Ministerial Working Group appointed a working group of state secretaries to prepare a set of issues including measures to boost the vitality of Eastern Finland and the use of funding for cooperation with neighbouring areas. This preparation work is being carried out for the 2022 government budget session.
Preparedness and security of supply
Security of supply means preparing for possible crises and disruptions and managing continuity by securing vital functions. The ministries develop security of supply in their own administrative branches.
The National Emergency Supply Agency is in charge of the development and maintenance of security of supply, and the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is responsible for the steering and supervision of the Agency.
Security of supply covers, for example:
- food supply
- energy supply
- the financial sector
- transport and logistics
- information society.
Economic Policy Coordinator
Tel. +358 29 553 0554