Finnish Productivity Board
The Productivity Board is an independent expert body operating in connection with the Ministry of Finance.
It is the Board’s responsibility to monitor the development of productivity and competitiveness of the Finnish economy, and to regularly provide and publish independent evaluations of it. The Board prepares financial reports and estimates concerning the developments in income and expenditure.
It also takes part in the discussion and exchange of information with the productivity boards of other EU Member States and the EU Economic Policy Committee.
In carrying out its task, the Board can develop the means of financial assessment and measurement as well as commission studies and reports.
The Board has a chair and not more than six other members, each with a personal deputy. Members must have experience in assessing productivity and competitiveness.
On the basis of a proposal by the Ministry of Finance, the Government appoints the chair and members of the Board for a term of three years. The Ministry of Finance requests a proposal from the economics research institutes, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, Finnish Competition and Consumer Authority and Bank of Finland for the six members and their personal deputy members of the Board. On 19 August 2021, the members of the Finnish Productivity Board were appointed by the Government for a term running from 1 September 2021 to 31 August 2024.
The Board is chaired by Docent Markku Stenborg (Ph.D.), Senior Ministerial Adviser at the Ministry of Finance. Its other members are
- Researcher Natalia Kuosmanen, (Ph.D.), Research Institute of the Finnish Economy (ETLA)
- Chief of Forecasting Ilkka Kiema, (Ph.D., Soc.Sc.D.), Labour Institute for Economic Research
- Forecasting Director Janne Huovari (M.Soc.Sc.), Pellervo Economic Research PTT
- Ministerial Adviser Seppo Kangaspunta, (MSc.), Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment
- Mika Maliranta, (Ph.D) Director at the Labour Institute for Economic Research and Professor at the University of Jyväskylä
- Meri Obstbaum, (Sc.D.), Head of Forecasting, Bank of Finland
Their personal deputies are
- Research Director Tero Kuusi (Ph.D.)
- Senior Researcher Annika Nivala (M.Soc.Sc.)
- Director of Research Olli-Pekka Ruuskanen (Sc.D.)
- Chief Specialist Anne Pesola (M.B.A.), Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment
- Research Director Tuulia Hakola-Uusitalo (Ph.D.)
- Senior Adviser Juuso Vanhala (D.Soc.Sc.)
Secretary of the Board is Senior Specialist Olli Palmén at the Ministry of Finance.
Senior Ministerial Adviser Markku Stenborg, markku.stenborg(at)vm.fi, +358 295530124